Friday, December 31, 2010

Another "Nuts" book... by an ELECTED OFFICIAL

 
Yeah, happy new year's eve, hello 2011, blah blah. Thank you.

Someone else has written a book about eccentrics et al in L.A. It's none other than city councilman Greig Smith, reflecting on his three decades in city government, with a special emphasis on the more colorful employees of and visitors to city hall.

At first, I was a bit piqued. I'd like to think that I thought of Angeleno make-funning first. But I've since realized that there's plenty of room for other books on the subject. THAT'S how many eccentrics we have here.

All of this has reminded me of "Reminiscences of a Ranger," a semi-autobiography by Horace Bell, a lawman who looked back on the do-badders he encountered during his tenure.

The book was first published in 1881.

Ah, shit.

There's really nothing new, is there. Except 2011. 

Happy new year.
 

No comments: